New best story on Hacker News: Thank HN: You helped me get a new job

Thank HN: You helped me get a new job
1049 by atum47 | 90 comments on Hacker News.
I remember like it was yesterday: I applied to a job overseas through a job platform and didn't get hired. People from the platform contacted me telling me one of the possible reasons was that I didn't have any code on GitHub. After that I started uploading all my code as open source projects and began to search places to tell people about it. Soon I learned about Hackernews and made a post that got 1 vote. I then decided to contact HN to ask how can I get more traction to my projects and they told me about the Show HN, a tag design to share small and even unfinished projects. Soon I was posting every idea I ever had made into a project. After InvaderZ - a space invaders clone that uses genetic algorithm ( https://ift.tt/2QFfb3s ) - people started liking my projects and I started to gain some attention. That was very important cause I was being approached by some companies. I don't do projects to gather attention, I do cause I have fun doing them. I already had a lot of things done when I decided to upload them to GitHub. Well, in one of those times when my post was in top 10, a cool company from São Paulo saw me and called me for an interview. They liked my project so much they offer me a job. I'm living in São Paulo now, it's a huge city full of things to do and places to visit. It's been really cool so far and I have a huge appreciation for Hackernews and the good people that work here. They provide a cool platform where people can share relevant news. They provide tools for people to start their own startup. They share job openings. They share companies that are hiring. It's a neat place for programmers, hackers and tech enthusiasts in general. I wrote this cause you never know when your story will inspire others and maybe there's someone on the struggle right now looking for a job. This was my experience. HN help me a lot and I think it might help you too. Thank you all and have a wonderful year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New best story on Hacker News: Tell HN: Triplebyte reverses, emails apology

New best story on Hacker News: Launch HN: OutSail (YC W23) – Wingsails to reduce cargo ship fuel consumption